EforA Research and Development Fund first call winners
The Research and Development Fund's second call closes Aug 16 at midnight (GMT)
The EforA Research and Development Fund has awarded nine clean energy innovators R&D grants to accelerate efficient appliance development.
Projects submitted during the first call aimed to accelerate the affordability, availability, efficiency and performance of a range of low energy inclusive appliances that are suited to developing country markets and promote social inclusion and achievement of the Global Goal 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
The winning projects seek to unlock commercial viability of both near-to-market products and horizon technology. The winning organisations are:
- BBOXX - Iron for the off-grid market
- Azuri Technologies - Off-grid smart fan
- M-KOPA - Smart batteries that enable DC appliances
- Solaris Offgrid - Open source standardised Pay-As-You-Go communication protocol
- Agsol - Smarter, efficient solar enabled mill
- Sure Chill - Improved controls for off-grid domestic refrigerators
- DGridEnergy - Solar powered cold chain for farmers
- Innovex Uganda - Improved remote monitoring of appliances
- Basil Energetics - Highly efficient, low cost motors for off-grid appliances
The projects will include field trials to take place in a number of countries over the next two years, including Kenya, Uganda, Togo, Tanzania, Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda. The last project is set to finish in April 2021.