EforA Research and Development Fund first call winners
The Research and Development Fund's second call is closed!
The EforA Research and Development Fund has awarded nine clean energy innovators R&D grants to accelerate efficient appliance development.
Projects submitted during the first call aimed to accelerate the affordability, availability, efficiency and performance of a range of low energy inclusive appliances that are suited to developing country markets and promote social inclusion and achievement of the Global Goal 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
The winning projects seek to unlock commercial viability of both near-to-market products and horizon technology. The winning organisations are:
- BBOXX - Iron for the off-grid market
- Azuri Technologies - Off-grid smart fan
- M-KOPA - Smart batteries that enable DC appliances
- Solaris Offgrid - Open source standardised Pay-As-You-Go communication protocol
- Agsol - Smarter, efficient solar enabled mill
- Sure Chill - Improved controls for off-grid domestic refrigerators
- DGridEnergy - Solar powered cold chain for farmers
- Innovex Uganda - Improved remote monitoring of appliances
- Basil Energetics - Highly efficient, low cost motors for off-grid appliances
The projects will include field trials to take place in a number of countries over the next two years, including Kenya, Uganda, Togo, Tanzania, Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda. The last project is set to finish in April 2021.